So, Anna Claire had her Kindergarten Orientation this morning at the Elementary School. She's SO excited to go! So much so that she didn't understand why she can't start tomorrow (and I'm sure I'll be explaining that again this evening!).
She saw the cafeteria, the gym (complete with active class), several of the Kindergarten classrooms (2 in action, and 1 empty as the kids were on the playground, so she really got to go in and check it out). She also saw the playground, the computer lab, the music room, the art room, and the library. She had a ball and asked several questions (politely raising her hand, waiting her turn, and speaking so confidently - I was so proud!).
I enjoyed it too, it was nice to get to meet (if ever-so-briefly) all of the teachers. Overall, I'm trying to 'make peace' with what she may be doing next year. I've heard that because her school does not segregate special needs students (each of whom have an assigned para-professional in the classroom with them), that "on average" there are 3-4 'teachers' in the room each day (and that the current classroom averages 17 students, w/ 1 lead teacher and 1 classroom para-pro). Thus, they are able to break up into groups by ability and focus on each levels needs. I was feeling pretty good about it . . . until:
"They'll work on letters, and sounds, and you MAY even find that they'll begin reading some by the end of the year!" {insert beaming tone of the teacher here}
At that point, Anna Claire tugged me down to her level and whispered "but Mommy, I'm *already* reading."
Yes, Anna Claire, I know . . ..
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment