Sunday, December 02, 2007

I have really got to get back on the ball . . .

. . . and back in the habit of updating here! (thanks for the 'call to action' Marcy!)

So, in the last month we've all battled random minor illnesses (still the Pre-K petri dish? We didn't have this many issues last year, but Anna Claire had been at that school with most of those kids for 2 years running, and Caroline was still nursing then, so I think we all had a bit of 'protection' that we're lacking this year). We're all healthy now though (knock wood) and hopefully we'll manage to stay that way into the New Year.

We got the girls pictures yesterday for our Christmas cards (you'll just have to wait and see, don't want to spoil any surprises!). All in all, it went okay. As okay as any 'photo session' with a 1.5yo and a not-quite-5yo can go. We got the cards made, and I'm halfway through addressing them. I feel a bit more settled that they'll actually be Christmas cards, rather than New Year's cards!

We had our first Parent-Teacher Conference on Friday. It went really well, nothing suprising (which, IMO, is how it should be since I see her teachers every day and would expect them to speak up if there were any issues). We're still working a bit on sharing and controlling our temper, but nothing out of the ordinary for her age. They did 'officially' label her (and I quote - lest you think I'm just a bragging parent!) "far and away the most advanced child in the class." The best news (from my perspective) is that she apparently doesn't flaunt that, but does try to help her classmates out. From all indications (just based on the books she's reading now, no testing) she's reading on a 1st grade level now (and LOVES to read). The teachers said that her vocabulary is a constant source of amusement for them (go figure!). She's counting past 100, counts by 2's and 10's as well. She's adding and subtracting, and dabbling in multiplication (great conceptual grasp). They also said she's one of the best artists in the class, with her scale, color, and detail.

Can you tell I'm kinda proud?! I'm also feeling a bit challenged by it though, as it will mean that I'm going to have to address some level of homeschooling. Not in place of public school (we need that time, both of us!), and not as a fully seperate curriculum (all work and no play, after all . . .). But, since our county doesn't do any sort of gifted testing (and then supplementation based on that) until 2nd grade, it's obvious that she's going to need something to keep her challenged and her interest piqued. Boredom is a dangerous place to go, IMO. While I'm a believer in the potential of public schools, I also firmly believe that "no child left behind" more often means "no child gets ahead" and she's obviously not the 'lowest common denominator' academically.

Oh, and the other news we got at the conference - she's going to be Frosty the Snowman in the Holiday Program this month! The teachers said they had 3 kids volunteer for the part, and then they 'auditioned' and the class voted. The teachers said they were thankful she won in a landslide, as they said she did such a good job. She's SO excited about the performance, and is taking practicing *very* seriously.

And, in case that hasn't been enough gushing for you - Caroline's talking more and more by the minute! She's rolling out new words all the time, can say almost all her letters (her sister likes to 'teach' her), and has begun stringing together sentences. "I got that ball" being her most recent (upon finally acquiring the ball her sister had been playing with!). She was 32.5" and 25.75lbs at her 18 month check-up last month (right around 70%ile for both). Growing like a weed, and gaining skills by the day!

Okay, that's got to be enough raving for one post. I promise I'll try to update more regularly!

No comments: