Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Good news!

While Caroline has hated the time she's had to spend on the bilibed, it's done what needed to be done! Her bilirubin levels were down to 11.7 this morning when the home healthcare nurse came! The Dr at our pediatrician's office (not our regular Dr) didn't get word of that to us until after business hours this evening, so they said we "can" leave her on it tonight and then call the medical supply folks to come pick it up tomorrow (guess that means they'll cancel the nurse too, which is fine, I'm just not sure I trust that they got that done!). She's been on it for several more hours this afternoon (before we got the news), but I don't think we'll be quite as rushed to get her back on it after feedings, etc this evening. Her levels are down enough that I want to be able to comfort her if that's what she needs (and I'm thankful that that's an option now!).

We got some other good news from the home healthcare nurse about her growth thus far - she's gained 2.5oz from discharge from the hospital (back up to 6lbs 9oz now). Based on that, and the number of wet/messy diapers she's having (around 8-10 of each!), as well as her hydration level based on appearance (her fontanels, etc) - nurse says that breastfeeding is going WELL! It's nice to hear a 'professional opinion' on that, since it's a far less concrete thing to know (seeing as I don't have handy ounce demarcations!).

Speaking of 'good news' - Anna Claire was SO proud to take in pictures of her new baby sister to share at preschool this morning! Overall, it's been a good news kind of day!

No comments: