Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dora uproar

Well, I have to admit, I was initially a bit perturbed when I heard of Mattel's decision to make a more 'tween' Dora. How couldn't I be, what with the silhouette they initially released?



I mean, she looks all miniskirt and big hair! I envisioned Dora hangin' with the Bratz (which haven't yet, and if I have my way never will, enter this home!). Now, I'm not completely against "fashion" dolls, and Anna Claire has her fair share (IMO) of Barbie's, including their iDesign system, which is straight up fashion play. But, we also have several Only Hearts Club dolls, which represent a more 'realistic' tween-age girl (both in shape and story). Somehow though, I cringed at the thought of sweet little preschool Dora growing up into one of the Bratz girls (who, yes, I have *always* had a problem with).


But, I have to admit, with the 'early' (pushed forward due to the backlash that swelled with the release of the silhouette) release of the full pictures . . . I'm not all that put off.


She's not in a mini at all. In fact, from what others have told me (Moms of girls older than mine): swing tops and leggings are "babyish" (Anna Claire has not yet gotten that memo, and still loves them - what's not to love? they look as comfy at PJ's to me!). Others are still bashing her 'accesorization' but, as y'all know Anna Claire *did* recently get her ears pierced and has always loved jewelry (even as an infant . . . jewelry and shoes . . . she's such a girl!). So, to me, that doesn't make her seem 'older' than her target market, or overly mature.

Truth be told, with the descriptions of what the tween-age Dora doll/site will do (doll will be interactive with the site, and has an online 'world' component, including solving mysteries, etc) . . . I wonder if she'll be on Anna Claire's wishlist this year? She hasn't been especially 'into' Dora for a while now, but she'll still watch occasionally with her sister, and she does enjoy learning words in other languages (both girls like Ni Hao, Kai-lan too). It'll be interesting to see how this goes over with the target market . . ..

No comments: