Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My heart hurt too.

The good news is: I think she's finally made a turn for the better.

Anna Claire spent most of yesterday afternoon at Scottish Rite Children's Hospital for, what we suspect was, a nasty stomach bug. She'd been sick about 20 times over 2 days, and had just become dehydrated. Dehydration doesn't really sound all that bad (I suppose), but it's not fun to witness on 36lbs of your baby. Her little body was just ravaged, poor kid. She'd had so little sleep (one night she was up every 30 minutes or so), and so little food/water (she just didn't want to put much in, because she knew what was likely coming once she did!) . . ..

The low point had to be yesterday afternoon when she told us that "her heart hurt." I'm pretty sure she just meant her chest was sore (I know mine gets that way from that much heaving), but I actually cried when I heard it. My heart hurt too. Like any parent, I'd have taken it 10x over if I could have 'taken' it for her.

Thankfully, a couple Zofran seem to have finally taken care of the nausea/vomitting and she's been able to get some Pedialyte in her. She also got some good sleep last night (she crashed, hard) and woke seeming much more like herself, though weak. She's far more talkative this morning (that's my Anna!) and wanted to play a bit in the tub. She's had a Pedialyte slushy, and we'll work our way back up to crackers and pretzels today.

Just hoping she has enough strength and energy to do a little bit of trick-or-treating tonight. Daddy will probably just pull her house-to-house in her wagon, and (of course) she won't be eating any candy yet, but I'd hate for her to miss the experience as she's been SO looking forward to it (she's going as a Care Bear, in case I hadn't mentioned that).

Edit: Perhaps it was something more nefarious (to borrow one of Anna Claire's words) . . .. Seems there's been an outbreak of Salmonella in 18 states, including Georgia, with tomatoes (one of Anna Claire's favorite things, which she ate a bunch of at a restaurant salad bar Saturday) as a strongly suspected carrier . . ..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope Anna Claire is feeling better soon. Brooke's teacher said there is a throat cold thing going around (which Brooke has) as well as a stomach thing. I am just grateful we got the cold and not the stomach thing...and am hoping that is not next.