Saturday, February 25, 2006

Anna Claire freaks me out on a regular basis. Warning: bragging to ensue

"Well, you knew she was smart. Didn't you?"

That's the quote I got from her preschool teacher when I was surprised that they hadn't been working on writing with her. I just knew I hadn't pushed it.

Then one night she curls up with her Daddy on the couch, while Brian is doing a crossword puzzle. She takes the pen from him and announces: "I'm going to draw an E." My interest is piqued, so I turn to watch her, expecting some of her usual wavy lines that once passed for writing. Instead, she very carefully and deliberately draws one vertical line followed by three horizontal lines, placed perfectly. Brian looks at me, stunned. I stare back, equally baffled. Then, just to be sure she has completely wigged us out, she goes on to draw (of her own accord and inclination) a T, an L, a slightly lopsided A, an O . . . well, you get the idea.

This might not have freaked me out so much, had she not, just a day earlier, tossed the soccer ball to her Papa and announced to him that it was covered in pentagons (okay, it was more "pentadons" as she still has trouble with those pesky g's). She proceeded to explain to her Papa that a "pentadon" had 1-2-3-4-5 sides and 1-2-3-4-5 points.

Well, I guess we knew she wasn't slow, and thought she was smart (um, hi, she is our child afterall; what parent doesn't think these things of their kid?). I don't know why any confirmation is wigging me out quite this much.

Okay, brag fest over.

No comments: